Anda has been talking aout LASIK for a long time, and she finally set up an appointment for us to go in for a free consultation. Long story short, I can't get LASIK (surprise!). The doctor said he won't do it on anyone who needs more than 8 diopters of correction, and no doctor in the country would do it on someone with -10. He says I'm -10.5 in one eye, and -11.5 in the other. He also says that they can't cure amblyopia (lazy eye) with LASIK. They can make the eye as good as it gets with glasses, but the problem is more with the connection between the brain and the eye than with the eye itself. I'm actually a little relieved, because now I won't have Anda bugging me about having someone shoot a laser in my eyes.
Anda can't get LASIK, either. It turns out that LASIK is like refinishing a floor--your cornea has to be thick enough for them to cut stuff away when reshaping the eye. Makes sense, right? Anyway, Anda was born with thin corneas, and there's not enough for LASIK. She can get PRK, though, which although it hurts more and takes longer to recover, sometimes has better results than LASIK. So now we just have the dilemma of not being able to pay for it. I bet we can get a better deal on the procedure in some alley in Costa Rica, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
PRK....ewwwww.... that is very similar to what I have had done THREE TIMES this year. I've heard PRK is even more painful, which, frankly, I can't even imagine :)
Post a Comment